Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Week 5 (Seoul)

This week and a half has passed by in an absolute whirlwind. I have finally graduated from Korean language courses, been amazed by the immenseness, beauty, and cleanliness that is Seoul, and have begun to feel like Korea is actually my home. I have also had a lot to process this week, so I decided to journal instead of blog. Instead, I am going to give you a photo journey of my week! Please enjoy. :)

Thursday-Tea Ceremony

I spent most of Wednesday cramming for my final on Thursday, but after my final was completed it was time to celebrate by learning about traditional Korean tea ceremonies! I learned how to properly bow, prepare, and drink tea. I also admired the beautiful hanbok, which is traditional Korean dress. These traditions are now only used for extremely formal occasions, such as funerals. I think the most important thing to remember in drinking, receiving, or preparing tea, is to always use two hands.



 

Friday-Pool Party at the Ambassador's Residence and American BBQ


Saturday-DMZ and Facials

Gabrielle and I on our way to the DMZ.

In Korean culture, it is very important to honor your ancestors, usually at their grave site. It is impossible for South Koreans and North Korean Defectors to honor their North Korean ancestors, so this was built in honor of them and serves as a makeshift grave of all deceased North Koreans.


Freedom Bridge:  Former railroad track used by POWs returning from the North.


Wishes of the people for reunification and peace.




The three soldiers with their backs turned to us are North Korean soldiers. They stand with fists clenched at their sides in a Taekwondo pose in case anything happens. The building is across the DMZ. On the steps there is a North Korean soldier who is watching us. If you look closely, there are also binoculars peeking out of the windows. The blue buildings are owned by the UN and are used as conference rooms. Our tour guide told us to take as many pictures as we wanted, because the soldiers were definitely taking pictures of us.

North Korean soldier inside the conference room. I was amazed at how they could stand incredibly still the entire time! Men and women in North Korea are required to serve ten years in the military. The US soldiers told us that they only stand like that when there are tours, and go into air conditioning when tours are done. The US soldiers and North Korean soldiers even play basketball and hang out together.


Skincare and beauty are kind of a big deal in Korea! Trying out Jeju Volcanic Skin Mask in an effort to get glowing skin after dinner and shopping in downtown Seoul. :)


Sunday-Gyeongbokgung Palace

There is a heat wave sweeping through Korea right now, so it was really difficult to pay attention to historical facts about the palace! I still thoroughly enjoyed how beautiful the palace was and was in absolute awe of how Seoul mixes the old with the new. The palace was very damaged by the Japanese imperialists, but it has been rebuilt to much of its former splendor. I learned a lot about King Sejon the Great of the Joesan Dynasty, who created hangul, the Korean alphabet, and therefore eliminated illiteracy in Korea. Even though I don't remember as many historical facts as I would like to, it was still absolutely breathtaking, and I am so glad I spent my free day exploring it!

King Sejon the Great.

Guards outside the palace.


Throne room.
Throne room.
Painting in queen's quarters.
Study hall for the king and guests. There are more gargoyles on this building than any other, marking its importance.
King's mother's quarters.
We are all rams according to the Chinese calendar!

Monday-Korean Language Course Graduation

It may have taken me longer than most to catch onto Korean, but it was worth each and every minute. I know I can communicate basic wants and hope to continue learning Korean throughout the year. I passed! :)

Tuesday-Talent Show and Superlative Awards

Thank you to David Stewart and the rest of the Talent Show committee for this beautiful certificate! 

I can't believe that orientation is almost over. I have made some close friendships and some amazing memories. In just three short days, I will be heading to Hwacheon! I only hope that I can make a difference. Thank you so much for your love and support. I have needed it so much over the past few weeks, and your letters and messages of encouragement have touched me so much. I love you. <3

Love always,
Chels

2 comments:

  1. SSSOOO beautiful there! I am so happy you get to experience traditional customs and explore the buildings! I love that you learned the tea customs as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Learning about Korea has been so much fun. :) I saw that you and Tony have moved into a new house. Congratulations and good luck!! <3

      Delete